The WAFWA Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee (DEI Committee) was established in 2020 by the President to be comprised of members from the Board. The committee’s approved Statement of Purpose:
“To support efforts of WAFWA public agencies to create a more diverse and inclusive workforce, and develop broad and meaningful relationships with people and organizations from diverse lives and cultures.“
- Assist our agencies to develop a foundational understanding, and an operational meaning, for the terms Diversity, Equity and inclusion.
- Be a resource for agencies that are striving to create a more diverse workforce.
- Be a resource for agencies to help them develop meaningful and mutually beneficial relationships with individuals and groups that have been marginalized in the natural resource field, and in society at large.
- Create a DEI resource library with contacts, books, webinars, TED talks, training resources, etc., that will be available for all WAFWA member agencies.
- Provide training opportunities in workforce diversity outreach, recruitment and retention, hiring with a diversity lens, and creating a welcoming work environment for people from all backgrounds and cultures.
- Provide training opportunities in anti-racism and anti-sexism.
- Collect and share best DEI practices among our agencies. Acknowledge and celebrate our successes.
- Be a supportive and confidential listening ear for employees that are striving to work toward achieving their agency DEI goals.